Here you can take official practice theory tests from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), free of charge.
You need to PASS your Theory and Hazard Perception Test at the same time, before, you can apply for your Practical Test. You will need a valid Provisional Driving Licence in order to take your Theory Test and you can book your Test online.You DO NOT however, need to have passed your Theory & Hazard Perception Test, before taking driving lesson.
DSA Crown copyright
Start your Theory Test revision as soon as possible before your lessons start!
It is advisable to start your theory test revision as soon as you can, even before you start your driving lessons, as the extra knowledge will help you when you get on the road and potentially reduce the amount of lessons that you will need.
How the Theory Test works
- The Theory Test is a 50-question multiple-choice test
- To pass you must answer 43 or more questions correctly within 57 minutes
- Questions are chosen at random from a bank of over 1,000 questions and you answer by touching the screen
- During the test you have the option to skip questions and return to them later
and then... Hazard Perception
Immediately after your Theory Test, you'll watch a series of 14 one minute video clips, each showing potential hazards involving road conditions, pedestrians or road users.There are 15 hazards to identify and you can score up to 5 points on each one, depending on how quickly you identify them. You need to score 44 out of 75 to pass - don’t worry it is not as tough as it sounds!
You can book your Theory and Hazard perception Test online.
You’ll need your:
You’ll need your:
- Great Britain or Northern Ireland provisional driving licence number
- Email address to get your booking confirmation - you can’t book online if you don’t have one
- Credit or Debit card
"You have to wait at least 3 clear working days before taking your test again if you don’t pass, so it is important to gets it right FIRST TIME."